Sunday, August 31, 2014

Nothing

Thoughts following the Falcons 44-16 win over Nicholls St Saturday: Its good to get the first game out of the way-and win it................. And thats it....Don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, but Air Force started this way last season with a Parents Day win over an FCS team, and we all know what happened after that. Yes, I loved the running of Jacobi Owens, the fact Air Force had 5 sacks and 6 tackles for losses on defense. But until those performances and numbers come against a MWC team, I'm in a wait and see mode. I'm always optimistic and I do like the newly discovered energy I have seen from Air Force. I think Steve Russ will get this defense playing MUCH better than it did a year ago. But one win over Nicholls St answers zero questions about this team. Saturdays game against Wyoming is a HUGE HUGE HUGE game because we'll find out how much true improvement this squad has made against a much better team. Other observations: I noted the other day Kale Pearson would carry the ball 10 times or less. He had 8 carries for 46 yards. He took a couple of good hits on his right leg, but popped up. He seemed to get more comfortable as a runner as the game wore on......That play I couldn't talk about in my last blog was a quick screen pass to wide receiver Jalen Robinette. It went for 0 yards Saturday. But I love the fact the Falcons have it in their playbook. Robinette will break 1 or 2 of those this year....Garrett Brown will surprise some teams. He had 5 rushes for 45 yards and a touchdown, and 1 catch for 6 yards. He is a good player.....On the injury front, Linebacker Joey Nichol was held out for much of the second half. I asked Troy Calhoun about that and he said "We'll see" meaning, at the moment he may, or may not play against Wyoming. Not sure how he got hurt.

No comments: