Monday, January 19, 2009

Oh Happy Days

I got together with some friends this past Sunday to watch the NFL Playoff games at a local watering hole. These are people I used to work with and I consider them among my closest friends. As we talked we would ask how each other was doing and the responses were very unenthusiastic, "Okay-nothing great." "Hanging in there-trying to keep busy." There is a mood in the air thats very uneasy and very disquieting. I don't want to say we're all afraid, but most of us are very cautious-about our job, our bank account-and what could happen next. I noticed the same thing when I was in the mall the other day. I like the mall because you can get, I believe, a real sense of whats going on in the community. The mall is usually bustling with people, and you hear kids laughing and such. But the other day it was quiet. People were wandering through and there was a feeling of uneasiness. And these are the times we live in. For better, for worse, its what we have to deal with. And if you are like me and have kids that are grown up, you worry about them as well, because they are new in the workforce and don't have as much experience to fall back on. I am not sure what it will take to turn things around in this country, but the mood is grim and things don't appear to be changing any time soon.

No comments: